2016 is right around the corner. And so too are a great many college application deadlines.
Not to worry – we are here to help you put the finishing touches on your application and get it ready for submission. Here are a few nuggets of advice from Common App staff.
* “Still fine-tuning your essay? Here’s a quick tip: get rid of the first paragraph and read it again. You might find that it’s actually a stronger piece of writing without the formality of an introduction.” – Scott
* “Proofread, proofread, and proofread again. And, if you can, have someone else read over your work. A second eye might catch something you may have missed.” – Jen D.
* “You’re putting a lot of time and effort into your applications. Take breaks, but don’t forget to save your work along the way! You can either save your essays in another document, such as Word, or hit the ‘Continue’ button within the application to ensure that your work is saved. You’ll be glad you did.” – Jennifer G.
* “Not all colleges have the same application deadline; be sure to review the deadline information on each college’s website.” – Chad
* “Deadlines are in your time zone! Ready to submit? There’s no need to wait to cross that off your busy to-do list. Being aware and organized will help you avoid the last-minute rush. However, if you find yourself submitting right up against the deadline date, know that the submission date and time displayed in the ‘My Colleges’ section is recorded in Eastern Time. BUT, as long as you submit on deadline day by 11:59 p.m. your local time, you’ve met the deadline.” – Jennifer G.
* “Don’t forget to follow up with recommenders.” – Annette
* “If you have questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at appsupport.commonapp.org or @commonapp. We are available to help you.” – Aba
* “When narrowing down your college choices, be sure to check college websites and social media accounts for additional information.” – Jen D.
* “Download the CommonApp onTrack mobile app on your iPhone and set reminders to keep yourself…well, on track.” – Annette